Posted by: vjicha | March 10, 2008

Patchwork Sweater

Many years ago I purchased a sweater kit with pattern and yarn from Mary Maxim. It was a patchwork design and the first time I washed the sweater (it was acrylic yarn), it fell, lost all of its bounce-back, and became unwearable.

I knit it again, this time from a better quality acrylic yarn, and I still wear that sweater today.

Recently, however, I thought it would be nice to make it out of wool, Cascade 220, which I did. This time, instead of knitting the patches in stockinnette stitch as indicated, I referred to my stitch dictionaries, and tried out various patterns. I’m pretty pleased with it, although at first it was way too large across the shoulders.

Where there is a will, there is a way, and to rectify the problem, I went to my sewing machine. I zigzagged around the shoulders, about an inch in from the edges, and cut off the excess. Then I did the same with the sleeves, which were miles too long. Finally, I set the sleeves in as you would when making a blouse, and sewed them on the machine. Voila!

Advertisements

Responses

  1. I think it looks fantastic!


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

Categories

%d bloggers like this: